mopeds


COBRA!
January 26, 2009, 4:54 am
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

So after waiting like 2 or 3 months, this cobra is finally mine, in my hands and totally awesome. Now I must first admit, I hate cobra’s. They are weird, bulbous, offensive mopeds with horrible design cues. They threw a huge tank on a pinto frame and added a butt ugly seat on the already stock pinto rack. They simply are not attractive. Now all that said, I’m still super stoked. I got what I thought was a good deal for the condition, so again, I’m super excited.

There is about 10 pounds of sawdust covering this thing, but underneath it all is one of the nicest, well preserved original mopeds I’ve seen (not including First Kick Dave’s amazing pink champagne newport). The tank is flawless, perfect paint, like 3 small scratches (it might be 4), awesome decals, a perfect seat, original tool-kit, shiny chrome wheels, bars, racks, and only 470 miles. When we drained the transmission fluid up in Arnold, it came out looking brand new, even though it hasn’t been ridden in years.

The motor has great compression, solid spark, and a clean 14mm bing. Unfortunately, there is some residual ancient gas stinking up the tank. I need to flush it out, then this thing is going to fire up like its brand new. I’m really excited (if you couldn’t tell). I also need to finish cleaning the rims, and dust off the front then just wax it up because I have to, its that nice. More amazing photos will come once its running perfectly later this week. Oh yea, its got an original california blue and yellow plate and registration. Sick!

Also, the other new love of my moped life, a paz’d out za50. It now has my ported polini and proma circuit making for awesome around town riding. Up at last week’s creature ride I was quickest off the line and up to about 30, when Lee overtook me on his racer poopgeout. Sure it only goes 45ish, but its so fun, going to like 25-30 before shifting, shifting on command, downshifting perfectly and everything. so fun!

So yea, you can probably count the 3 magnums in the shed now. The black beauty (4 petal polini, estoril?, powdercoated tank, nos nostalgia rims, etc), the new one from brando, and the other one up on the shelf (soon to be my za50 ltd). I’m going to be selling 2 of them pretty soon, and just keeping the ltd. I’m not sure what will happen with the cobra, but right now I’m going to enjoy my new moped.

Oh yea, I won a flat reed motor for derbi! This has been an exciting week. I’m going to be putting that on my sle frame, I know, mods must be done, then the piston port gilarblowme on the hobbit frame. 2 racers. I need to get rid of some mopeds.



Tear-down and Buildup Prep
December 6, 2008, 1:30 am
Filed under: Projects, Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , ,

So I started to pull the Derbi apart. The motor had 3 bolts running through it, and there is also attachments for the swingarm that run to the main drive gear and the rear pulley. The motor came off really easy and its pretty dirty. Its going to get a good cleansing before anything happens. I pulled off the stator and I’m going to get new points and a condenser so my spark is in tip top shape. I’ll also be rewiring the bike making it much simpler with running lights and only a kill switch (as required by the rules).

As you can see, the gila cylinder slides right into the derbi bore. The sleeve looks a tiny bit shorted than the stock cylinder, but its pretty close. Regardless, no case boring necessary, only case matching. The decomp from the stock head transferred right over so nothing to worry about there. That will slide right in. I think I am going to have the cut the outer-most 2 fins on the top of the cylinder to clear the frame if I ever want to take the cylinder off with the motor bolted up. I could do without it, but I’d then have to drop the motor every time I needed to remove the cylinder.

You can see the stud spacing is a tad-bit off. Its pretty close, so just a little drill-press action and it will slip right on. This is too easy!

I also started working on the motor for a magnum I will be building up most likely to sell. Its going to be an e50 with a top stuffed crank running a 72cc Airsal cylinder (commonly seen on A55 tomos). The cylinder is great with tons of torque and good top speed as well. I am going to have to re-gap the rings for super blasting, but it should be a 55 MPH bike no problem with that and a Simonini and 21mm phbg. The frame and tank and all is going to be black with red decals. I’ve got some NOS Nostalgia wheels (black rims with red pin-striping. It will be a dark bike, but it should look pretty fresh and very simple. I plan to get the motor done so I can tune it and have it ripping by the time the frame and tank are done.

I port-matched the case to the e50 then sprayed the case and cylinder and intake to blend in with the frame a bit better. The case is a dark gray and the cylinder and intake and clutch cover are a semi-gloss black. All High-temp and durable ceramic paint. Not quite as nice as powder, but its an engine case, so whatever. I ran out of paint so I still gotta finish the cylinder and head. It looks mean like a Metra-80.